The Golden Days: Thompson Speedway & Raceway Sports and Formula Car Events 1945-1977 by Terry O'NeilNOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER!
Occasionally a spark of inspiration can become the catalyst for transition. Just such an occasion took place with the construction of Thompson Speedway in 1940, a five-eighth mile banked oval track, dubbed “The Indianapolis of the East.” A road course joined to the oval in 1952 enlarged the track to form the first privately-owned complex where sports car drivers could race safely. It transformed the face of sports car racing in America, and hastened the demise of the dangerous open-road events together with the majority of flat and boring airfield race venues. This two-volume set, illustrated with many previously unseen photographs, traces the history of the raceway during its active years and describes the personalities involved in the changing fortunes of the course until its closure in 1977.
"Like" The Golden Days: Thompson Speedway & Raceway Facebook Page
Click here to view sample pages
Born in Hertfordshire some twenty miles north of London,
during the Second World War, Terry O’Neil has lived the majority of his life in
the Midlands, England. For the past thirty-nine years he has resided in
Stourbridge on the edge of the ‘Black Country’.
More about Terry O'Neil