- Building on over forty years of Dalton Watson automotive and related publishing, we are now producing many new and attractive books including recent ones covering topics such as Bentley, Maserati and Sports Car Racing in the South. Within the Icon series, there are popular books on Steve McQueen, The Beatles and more to come.
- Some earlier books, which have become collector’s items, are being revised and reprinted because of their continued popularity.
- You can buy all these titles from our on-line bookshop and packing and delivery within the United States and Europe is free of charge. Please contact us for shipping costs outside this area. Shipments are made from both UK and USA locations. Credit card purchases from this website are all expressed in US dollars but you will be charged by your credit card the current equivalent in your local currency.
- In some instances a UK Pounds price is also shown. This is the UK retail price for purchase from traditional store retailers.
- Manuscripts and future book ideas always welcome.
November 25, 2013 Around the Circuit - Racing car transporters and support vehicles at work by David Cross and Bahamas Speed Weeks by Terry O'Neil now printed and delivered to the UK so immediately available to all European buyers.#Aroundthecircuit #Bahamasspeedweeks
November 2, 2013 Talbot-Lago Grand Sport Cugnot Award The Society of Automotive Historians held its Awards Banquet on the evening of October 11, 2013 to present its eight distinguished literary awards. The Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot Award was presented to Glyn Morris, owner of Dalton Watson Fine Books, publisher of Talbot-Lago Grand Sport by Peter M. Larsen with Ben Erickson; the “Outstanding book of 2012 in the English language.” The award will also be presented to the authors in Paris at the Retromobile SAH dinner in February 2014.
Publication June, 2013 US$45/UK Pounds 29
By studying military conflict, this book traces the story of the African American quest for freedom and liberty from the days of the Revolutionary War to the 21st Century. It follows the earliest struggle for liberty from slavery, when some 200,000 African American slaves and free men fought on both sides in return for the promise of freedom. Some, but pitifully few, did achieve their freedom, though most returned to the lot that had been dealt to them by their owners and the abolition of slavery did not give them equality. The Spanish American War was followed twenty years later by the “Great War” – the war to end all wars, where over three hundred African American soldiers were awarded the Croix de Guerre, France’s highest award for valor, yet only one was awarded the Medal of Honor by the United States – seventy-three years after his death on the battlefield.
World War II brought the first all-black-crewed fighter squadron, the 99th, followed by the 332nd Fighter Group, the most highly decorated group of men in their theaters of war. These men were also the catalyst of political action to bring desegregation to the Armed Forces, by means of President Harry Truman’s Executive Order 9981, which preceded the Civil Rights Act by twenty years. Since President Lyndon Johnson’s signing of the Civil Rights Act into law, we have seen sometimes great, but faltering, steps forward. African Americans have finally risen to the top in their chosen careers – four-star generals, astronauts and ultimately an African American President.
See presentation by David Styles on A Tribute to Jimmy Doolittle at the USS Hornet Museum.
See PDF of the Tuskegee book.
Edith Roberts, widow of Colonel George S. "Spanky" Roberts, after whom the Sacramento Chapter is named. Picture taken at May book signing in California.
MJ Restaurant, Tracy. CA. August 22, 2013. Book signing by David Styles.
By Jim Dilamarter and Ren Wicks Jr.
From Parnelli Jones’ humble early racing career, to the pinnacle of motorsports – back-to-back Indianapolis 500 race wins and three consecutive United States Auto Club National Championships – Vel Miletich and Parnelli Jones and their Vel’s Parnelli Jones (VPJ) Racing team of drivers, engineers, designers, fabricators and mechanics dominated American automobile racing in the 1970s.
- Publication in June 2013 at US$69.
- July 2013. Copies now arrived and available.
- Recent video of interview with Parnelli Jones by Robin Miller with mention of the new book.
- Sample pages of the book
- More information on Parnelli Jones
- Indianapolis 500 to Celebrate Parnelli Jones